Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Keep Calm and Tuesday On - NCHE Homeschool Conference & Memorial Day


Good afternoon everybody!  Hope you are having a super fabulous Tuesday so far.  
At the moment, I am looking outside at the clouds of pollen that are passing by in waves . . . it's crazy!!!  
I feel really sorry for whoever has allergies with that kind of stuff...ugh.
So, what did you do this past week?
Mine was spent in finishing up the last bits of school (which I am now done with until July :D !!!) and attending the NCHE homeschool conference in Winston Salem.  
To tell you the truth, I've never been to a homeschool conference other than to work in one of the Apologia booths, so it felt kinda weird at first to walk around in the book fair and see all of the other vendors hard at work without me.  :)  But at the same time, it was nice to have the freedom to go to the workshops with one of my friends, and cousins.  
One of the talks was especially thought provoking, and I can't for the life of me, remember the guy's name who gave it!  
Basically, it was a challenge to teens in particular to have enough faith in Christ to be able to share the gospel in any given situation that might come up. 
 I had to ask myself, "have I searched the scriptures thoroughly, and do I know them well enough to be completely ready when situations do come up?" 

. . . very thought provoking for me.  

Another good talk that was given (and that I do remember the name of that speaker), was by Scott Klusendorf on abortion, and how to argue convincingly against it.  
Actually, what he had to say was so convicting to me, that when I came home, I looked up our local Pregnancy Care Center to see if there was anyway that I could volunteer to help around the Summer.  
Here is a small piece of what I read on the their website:

Volunteering would be a wonderful way to support McDowell Pregnancy Care Center for those who feel they cannot afford a donation.  There are always items in the "store" to take care of, or calls, or sometimes just keeping someone company.
Extra smiles being around when these young women come in go along way in setting the mood and the atmosphere.  We know your time is valuable, but assisting us in our efforts is "priceless."
That kinda sealed the deal for me, so I emailed them this morning.  We shall see what comes of it.  :)  
~
 Then....Came.....Memorial Day.  
A very relaxed day full of planting seeds, lizard hunting, grilling out, arm wrestling, and watching Nate do some pretty awesome flips.  















At the end of the day, as we were having devotions together, Dad mentioned something in his prayer that reminded me of why we celebrate Memorial Day in the first place.  He prayed,
"Thank you for the men who have fought and died so that we have the freedoms to do all of the things that we did today."
A lot of times, I forget exactly why we celebrate this or that holiday, and just enjoy the day instead.  

I don't want to be one of those people who celebrates the celebration rather than the reason for it.  

I want to remember and BE THANKFUL!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to tell me what you think!