Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Keep Calm and Tuesday On - Love, Joy, Peace Challenge


There is always something to work on in your character, whether you be 17, or 71!  
I personally know, after looking back at how I wasn't patient with this person, or not all that humble in that situation, {the list could go on and on...} my character flaws can sometimes seem overwhelming!  

If you haven't figured it out by now, I'm one of those gals who likes to have practical ways to help me to overcome difficulties.  So, I was remembering what it says in Galatians 5:22-23 about the fruits of the Spirit:

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness and self-control.  Against such things there is no law."

. . . and I started to think, "Now how can I practically apply this verse?"
What I came up with was a sort of challenge to myself:  
The LOVE, JOY, PEACE Challenge


Generally, it takes about 21 days to form a habit, so what I'm doing is taking 1 "fruit" a month (a couple extra days for good measure :) to focus on and pray that God would cultivate that character quality in me.  

So, for example, this month's "fruit" is love!  
That means that for the rest of this month, I am praying that I would love others with God's kind of love, and then actively look for ways to show and cultivate that love throughout the month.  
From there, I'll take the other fruits of the Spirit and do the same thing with the hope that by the end of 9 months, I will have formed unshakable habits based around loving others, being joyful in all circumstances, having complete peace in my heart, . . . and so on.  

Now, why exactly did I tell you all this?
I told you so that prayerfully you and many others will join me in actively working on our weaknesses, because, 

"Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth."
-2 Timothy 2:15

And of course, it is because of God's grace and through his Holy Spirit that we have the power to overcome our weaknesses - one step at a time.  
***

Now, before I leave you for this Tuesday, I'd like to share something that really encouraged and inspired me today.  Its a really short, 4 part video series called, "FABULOUS LIFE OF A TEENAGER" by Alex and Brett Harris - founders of the Rebelution movement, and authors of the book, Do Hard Things.  
Enjoy and BE CHALLENGED!





1 comment:

  1. This is so encouraging to me, Hannah! Praise God for your serious approach to practically growing in holiness. Thank you! I love the idea and I'm going to join you in this. Love ya! Bethany

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to tell me what you think!